This easy strawberry-rhubarb jam is the perfect vegan jam recipe. Use it on a strawberry shortcake or serve it on top of your favorite dairy-free ice cream.
Spring always gives us the very best in produce and it’s also my favorite time of year for shortcakes! I saw some gorgeous ruby red rhubarb at the grocery store and knew I wanted to make strawberry-rhubarb jam.
Fortunately, this easy vegan jam recipe is so easy to make that you can really set it and forget it.
Many jams are thickened with gelatin or, for vegan options, cornstarch or pectin. In this recipe, I don’t think you need a thickener at all.
For this vegan strawberry-rhubarb jam recipe, you need just a few ingredients, including:
- 1 pound of strawberries, halved
- 1 pound rhubarb, trimmed and diced
- Lemon juice or vanilla extract
- A little water
How to make this easy strawberry-rhubarb jam:
It’s a breeze, don’t worry. Simply gather all of the ingredients into a pot and turn the heat to medium. Bring it to a bubbly, low boil, and then reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the rhubarb is very, very tender. Taste and adjust the jam for sweetness, adding more if you like a sweeter jam.
Store this jam in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. Alternatively, try freezing it! Since you aren’t canning or processing this jam, it will last up to 3 weeks in the refrigerator. In the freezer, it’ll last up to 6 months. When freezing the jam, add it to an airtight plastic or glass jar or Tupperware container. Be sure to leave a little space at the top to accommodate the jam expanding.
Did you make it? Let me know how it turned out! Tag @Exploring__Vegan on Instagram and use #exploringvegan to be featured in my feed.
Easy Strawberry-Rhubarb Jam
- 1 pound strawberries, tops trimmed and berries halved
- 1 pound rhubarb, trimmed and small-diced
- 2 cups granulated sugar, more if desired
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup water
Cook the jam:
- Gather all of the ingredients into a saucepan. Turn the heat to medium-high and stir to combine everything.
Simmer the jam:
- Once the jam begins to bubble, reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes. Add more water, as needed. Stir the mixture occasionally to prevent it from stirring. Be sure to cook the jam long enough that the rhubarb softens and the jam thickens. Taste and add more sugar, if needed.
- Once the jam is thickened, turn off the heat. Allow the jam to cool completely. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks or in the freezer for up to 6 months. Enjoy!