This quick-pickled charred corn is the vibrant garnish you’ve been missing on tacos, chili, or your favorite soup or stew. It comes together in flash and tastes amazing!
This quick-pickled charred corn is so ridiculously easy to make and tastes so delicious on just about anything. Try serving it on your favorite lentil soup recipe or with tacos or burrito bowls.
My favorite part of this is that parts of the corn become a bit crunch as they char, making it a sweet, savory, somewhat crunchy topping perfect for all occasions.
Making this recipe is a breeze and you can get creative with the flavor profile, depending on the type of vinegar you choose. Try it with a champagne vinegar or distilled white vinegar or try flavored vinegar. I used Fruit & Flower Vinegar from West Maquoit Vinegar Works which added beautiful fruity, floral undertones to this pickled corn recipe. My tip? Stick with a light-colored vinegar as darker vinegar will overwhelm the flavor of the corn.
Quick-Pickled Charred Corn
- Baking sheet
- Heatproof glass measuring cup
- 2 ears of corn, husked and kernels cut from the cob
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- 1 shallot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar, use distilled white vinegar or use your favorite flavored white vinegar
- Flaky sea salt
Char the corn:
- Place the corn kernels on a baking sheet in an even layer. Drizzle with the oil and sprinkle with salt. Place directly under a broiler, turning occasionally, until the corn chars. You may hear popping as the corn cooks. Depending on your broiler, this will take anywhere from 4-8 minutes. Turn the corn regularly to prevent it from burning!
Prepare the vinegar mixture:
- While the corn chars, place the vinegar, sugar, and water in a heatproof glass measuring cup and microwave for 1-2 minutes or until the sugar is completely dissolved. Stir to incorporate.
Finish the quick-pickled charred corn:
- Place the shallot in a bowl or mason jar along with the charred corn. Pour the hot water mixture over the vegetables and toss to completely incorporate. Season with a sprinkle of flaky sea salt.
- Store in the refrigerator for at least one hour before using. Enjoy!