This vegan caramelized onion soup is filled with chickpeas and potatoes and luscious caramelized onions. It’s a quick, easy, and tasty vegan dinner recipe.
This caramelized onion soup with chickpeas is my absolute new favorite vegan dinner recipe. It’s sweet, savory, and best of all…only five ingredients, not including the pantry staples like oil, sugar, water, salt, and pepper.
Making this vegan soup recipe is a breeze too. You only have a few main steps, though the first one takes the longest.
- Caramelize the onions
- Add chickpeas and potatoes along with water or stock
- Simmer for 20–30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender
Doesn’t that just sound like a dream? It’s a filling soup, too, despite not having too many ingredients.
Another great part about this caramelized onion soup recipe is the versatility! If you need to make substitutions, try these:
- Yellow onion: Use your favorite onion, like red or Vidalia, or replace it with shallots. You can also try your hand at caramelizing fennel!
- Potatoes: Try it with butternut squash or sweet potato!
- Fresh parsley: Garnish with fresh dill, fresh thyme, or even fennel fronds if you make this with caramelized fennel.
Vegan Caramelized Onion Soup
- Wide pot
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- 1 pound yellow onions, peeled and thinly sliced into half-moons
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- Sugar optional, if needed
- 2 15- ounce cans chickpeas
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced into 1'' cubes
- 6 cups water or vegetable stock
- ⅓ cup loosely packed parsley minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
Caramelize the onions:
- Heat 1 tablespoon neutral oil in a wide pot over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 15 minutes, stirring every few minutes until they just begin to deepen in color. Melt the vegan butter into the onions. If you like, add a sprinkle of sugar to help speed up the caramelization.
- Continue cooking the onions, adjusting the heat as necessary to prevent them from burning, for an additional 30–45 minutes. Stir them regularly until they take on a deep golden-brown color—season with salt and pepper.
Simmer the soup:
- Add the chickpeas and the potatoes to the pot and toss to coat. Pour in the water or stock and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 20–30 minutes or until the potatoes are fork-tender—taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Garnish with fresh parsley. Enjoy!