This easy avocado toast is what quick lunch and brunch dreams are made of. For an extra kick, I load mine up with shichimi togarashi!
There’s nothing new or surprising about avocado toast these days, but it still remains my favorite quick lunch or brunch. My favorite thing to do with avocado toast is to experiment with the toppings and garnishes.
For this easy avocado toast recipe, I used WayFare plant-based butter (one of my favorites!) and loaded it up with tons of delicious toppings.
First, I toasted a slick slice of wheat bread in the WayFare butter. Next, I made the avocado mash with a simple mixture of salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Then, I finished it with fresh Thai basil and micro pea shoots. Last, I finished it with a generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and finished with tons of shichimi togarashi.
The result is a gorgeous toast loaded with beautiful greens and just a touch of umami heat from the shichimi togarashi.
What is shichimi togarashi?
Have you ever cooked with shichimi togarashi? It’s easily one of my favorite garnishes to use on dishes.
Shichimi tōgarashi, sometimes called shichimi, is a spice condiment originating in Japan. The word Shichimi translates to seven flavors and tōgarashi translates to chili pepper. In short, it is a spicy pepper blend that has seven flavors that all work harmoniously. If you pick up a bottle of shichimi, it will contain these key ingredients: chili flakes, sesame seeds, and seaweed (nori). As for the remaining ingredients, that depends on the producer. The base of chili flakes, sesame, and seaweed creates a spicy, nutty, umami blend unlike any other spice blend you will ever try.
There are a lot of different brands of shichimi togarashi on the market. S&B is likely the one most readily available to you, though I also love Daybreak Seaweed’s shichimi. I sell it in my shop, so if you want to give it a try, head on over to the store and grab a jar!
You’ll love the nutty, spicy flavors shichimi lends to a simple avocado toast breakfast!
Easy Avocado Toast
- 2 tablespoons plant-based butter
- 2 thick slices of wheat bread
- 1 large avocado , peeled and pit discarded
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 8 Thai basil leaves
- Pinch of micro pea shoots , or micro greens of choice
- Shichimi togarashi to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil , optional, for serving
Toast the bread:
- Melt the butter into a small skillet. Once melted, add the toast to the skillet and cook 2-3 minutes per side until toasted all over.
Prepare the avocado:
- Place the peeled, pitted avocado in a bowl and mash with a fork. Add the lemon juice and a sprinkle of salt and pepper to taste and mash to incorporate.
Assemble the toast:
- Divide the avocado mixture between the two toasts. Garnish each toast with 4 Thai basil leaves and a pinch of micro pea shoots. Drizzle each toast with a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil and a pinch of shichimi togarashi. Enjoy!