Take Taco Tuesday to a new level with this easy vegan broccoli slaw. It’s spicy, creamy, and oh-so-delicious. If you’re looking for a cabbage-free slaw for the summer, start with this one!
I love a good spicy slaw, but I love experimenting with new veggies to use as the base, like this vegan avocado and Brussels sprouts slaw. Given that both broccoli and cabbage are both in the Brassicaceae family, it seemed only natural to make a broccoli slaw!
You only need a few ingredients and, ideally, a food processor for this recipe. If you don’t have a food processor, you can certainly make do with some quick knife-work! The processor will make the slaw come together much more quickly though!
What you need for this vegan broccoli slaw:
- Fresh broccoli, the star of the show in this cabbage-free slaw!
- A jalapeño pepper
- Fresh cilantro
- Lime juice and zest
- Vegan mayonnaise, I love Sir Kensington’s!
- Maple syrup, or your favorite liquid sweetener
- A little hot sauce
- Red onion, finely minced
How to make this easy vegan broccoli slaw:
Most of the ingredients will be blitzed in the food processor. The only ingredient I prefer to finely mince with a knife is the red onion. That’s optional, I just prefer to have a little variety in the texture of the slaw. Running every ingredient through the processor will create a homogenous texture.
First, start with the broccoli You want to use broccoli that has a longer stem; again it helps from a textural perspective. Avoid using only broccoli crowns for this slaw. Start by trimming off about half an inch from the bottom of the stem of the broccoli just to remove any browned or tough parts at the bottom of the stem.
Roughly chop the broccoli to make it easier to put into the food processor. Add it in batches, if needed, because you don’t want to process it forever! Blitz a few times until finely chopped, but not completely obliterated. Transfer it to a big bowl.
Next, zest a whole lime straight into the broccoli. And then juice the lime into the food processor.
Add the jalapeño, cilantro, mayonnaise, and maple syrup, and pulse until everything is completely blended and smooth. Pour the mixture over the broccoli.
From there, simply finely mince a red onion and add it to the slaw, and season liberally with salt and pepper.
It’s so delicious and you can pile it on tacos or put it into burritos. Try adding it on top of black bean burgers or serve it on top of rice bowls!
Easy Vegan Broccoli Slaw
- Food processor
- 1 pound broccoli with stems
- 1 lime
- 1 jalapeño, trimmed
- 1/2 cup loosely packed cilantro, rinsed thoroughly
- 6 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce of choice
- 1/2 red onion, finely minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Minced cilantro and sliced jalapeño, optional
Prepare the broccoli:
- Trim off the very bottom 1/2” of the stalks of broccoli. Roughly chop. Transfer to a food processor in batches, if needed, and pulse until just finely chopped. Don’t over-process the broccoli! Pour the minced broccoli into a large bowl.
- Using a microplane, zest the lime straight into the bowl of broccoli.
Prepare the dressing:
- Juice the lime into the food processor. Add the jalapeño, cilantro, vegan mayonnaise, and hot sauce. Blend until completely combined and smooth.
Finish the slaw:
- Pour the dressing over the broccoli and toss to combine. Add the finely minced red onion and season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl and refrigerate until needed.
- Before serving, garnish with more minced cilantro and a few slices of jalapeño if you like. Enjoy!