An easy, tasty recipe, this one-pot beets and rice recipe should make it into your recipe rotation. You’ll love this one-pot vegan recipe.
This meal is such an easy one to throw together. It tastes delicious, and it can be modified in a million different ways.
I love beets, so when I saw this “badger flame” variety at the grocery store, I knew I wanted to try it. Badger flame beets are a newer variety of beet named after their vibrant yellow-orange color and flame-like shape. They’re sweeter than any beet I’ve ever tried and have concentric circles somewhat similar to a Chioggia beet. They’re perfect for those who are put off by the earthiness of beets.
If you can’t find badger flame, use golden beets. Or, if you’re not a fan of beets, make this recipe with sweet potatoes or diced butternut squash.
How to make this one-pot beets and rice recipe:
This meal is SO easy to throw together. All you need are a few ingredients, including:
- Onion, or use shallot
- Badger flame beets, or use golden beets, sweet potatoes, or diced butternut squash
- Golden zucchini, or use green zucchini
- Long-grain white rice
- Water, or use vegetable stock
- Minced herbs, pick one or use any combination of scallions, parsley, dill, or basil
To make this recipe, start by sautéing the onion first. Once the onion softens, add the beets and golden zucchini. Sauté, stirring regularly, until the vegetables all begin to soften in the pot. Season liberally with salt and pepper.
From there, add the white rice and cook it briefly in the pot. Pour in the water or stock, bring to a boil, and then cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender.
Let the rice stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Uncover it and quickly add the herbs. Cover the rice again and let the residual heat steam the herbs for a few minutes. It’s as simple as that!
Serve this rice up with some delicious baked or fried tofu, or add chickpeas for extra protein!
Looking for more rice recipes? Check my archives!
If you loved this one-pot vegan recipe, snap a pic and tag me on Instagram so I can feature you on my feed!
One-Pot Beets and Rice
- Large pot
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 3/4 pound badger flame or golden beets peeled and small diced
- 2 golden zucchini trimmed and diced
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 1/4 cups water or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup mixed loosely packed minced herbs like scallions, parsley, dill, or basil, a pinch reserved for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil optional for garnish
Sauté the onion:
- Heat the neutral oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook the onion for 5 minutes until just beginning to soften.
Cook the beets:
- Add the beets and zucchini and cook, stirring regularly, for 10 minutes until they begin to soften. Season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Pour in the rice and toss to combine everything. Cook 1 minute.
Simmer the rice:
- Pour in the water and bring to a boil. Stir once, cover, and reduce heat. Simmer for 20 minutes. Turn off the heat and let stand, covered, for 5-10 minutes.
Steam the herbs:
- Remove the pot’s lid and add the mixed herbs. Use your spoon to arrange the herbs into an even layer and cover again. Allow the residual heat from the rice to steam the herbs for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and stir to combine everything. Add more salt and pepper if you like.
- Spoon the rice into bowls. Add a pinch of reserved herbs and finish with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil if you like. Enjoy!