This white bean and radicchio salad loads up on Thai basil, lime juice, and lime zest for a side dish perfect for the summer. It’s my new favorite radicchio recipe!
Radicchio falls into the chicory family and people know (and love it!) for its bitterness. While it looks like red cabbage, it varies greatly in texture and taste.
Some people avoid radicchio because of its bitterness as it can be quite intense! Luckily, in this white bean and radicchio salad, you can substitute red cabbage or even Napa cabbage.
In this recipe, lime juice, lime zest, extra virgin olive oil, and Thai basil make a bright, fragrant dressing. These ingredients make the perfect vehicle for white beans, radicchio, and small-diced zucchini. If you want to soften the bitterness of the radicchio, add a little maple syrup or brown sugar to the dressing. The sweetness contrasts the bitterness and plays up the sweetness of the lime juice, too!
How to make this white bean and radicchio salad recipe:
This little salad is so easy to make but gives you big, bold flavors.
First, marinate the radicchio. I find a quick soak in oil and lime or lemon juice helps soften the radicchio. Combine the lime juice, lime zest, extra virgin olive oil, and maple syrup (if using), in a big bowl.
Add the thinly sliced radicchio and a generous sprinkle of salt and toss to coat. Let it soak for 15 minutes.
While the radicchio soaks, dice up the zucchini and pluck the Thai basil leaves from the stems. Tear the large leaves in half. From there, simply add the Thai basil, beans, and zucchini to the radicchio and toss to incorporate. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
If you made this recipe, I’d love to know what you thought! Leave a comment below or share your pic on Instagram and tag me!
White Bean and Radicchio Salad
- Large bowl
- 2 limes juiced and zested
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 head of radicchio or use half a head red cabbage or Napa cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 small zucchini trimmed and small diced
- .5 ounces Thai basil or Italian basil* large leaves torn in half, small leaves left whole
- 15- ounce can navy beans drained and rinsed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sugar or maple syrup optional
Marinate the radicchio:
- Whisk together the lime juice, zest, and extra virgin olive oil in a large bowl. Add maple syrup if using—season with salt and pepper. Add the sliced radicchio and toss to coat well. Set aside for 15 minutes.
Finish the salad:
- Add the diced zucchini, Thai basil, and beans and toss to coat. Taste and season with salt and pepper. If the radicchio is still too bitter for your tastes, add a bit more maple syrup to taste.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Enjoy!